Thursday, November 7, 2013

A Change of Plans

I completely prepared for Asia.   My backpack was packed and ready with the bottom part holding warmer clothes for Europe in March.   I stocked up on feminine products, pepto for upset stomach, I was already taking my vitamins.  My clothes for the plane were already to go with a change of clothes for when I landed in the boiling hot weather.   I put a monthly payment on my bills, transfered my money in to a travel account and had enough money in my main account so my bills could be paid for the following months.   I had all my flight info printed out and ready to go, all my electronics charged, a ride to the Greyhound and  dinner plans in Vancouver with friends before heading to the airport where I would be whisked away to the Philippines.  I was so stoked! Other than having to part with Isam  I was  excited.

I was getting some last little things together and getting some stuff on my computer ready when I saw I had a message on Skype from my school in Thailand -  I am taking a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) course in Thailand in January.   "Hi Emmie we are going to cancel the January course."  WTF?  No way?!? This can not be happening!!!  Apparantly the Thai MOE (Ministry of Education) changed the school year or something...anyway the course is being postboned till March 1st...the thing is I can't attend in March as I am meeting mum and dad in Italy and then I am going to Paris to meet up with Isam.   What does this mean for me?   I skipped my flight!!!

It was a hard decision...I was so excited to travel Asia before school...however I had planned and budgeted for school to begin in January, then Europe in March and then a job placement in April; but now I couldn't afford to do all that time in Asia, then Europe, then back out to Asia for school and then a job placement. So...I am doing a season up at Big White!!!  

I was really upset at first but I am pretty excited now.  Isam and I got a place and we move in on Saturday.  He got a job as a bartender...I'm still waiting for calls.   My cousin Sydney drove us up the other day so I could hand out resumes.  I had a few interviews that I feel went well.   The one place I would really like to work is the place Isam works at but she sent him an email saying she doesn't tend to hire couples...that didn't stop me though.   I walked in with my resume and said "I am going to be completely honest with you, I am Isam's girlfriend.   We got your email but it said you don't "tend" to hire couples but it didn't say that you "didn't" so I wanted to come in and meet you so that way I could have a fair chance at you meeting me and seeing my qualifications instead of you saying no because I am his girlfriend.   If you say no it's a fair no so please look at my as if I am just me and not attached to Isam."  So proud of myself!!!  After a 25 minute interview she told me I was amazing!  Though she said she really needs to think about the couple thing.  Isam went in after and she told him the same thing...that I was amazing!!! Good news but I am trying not to get my hopes up.  

 Another place said they would be happy to take me but with my experience in the hospitality industry it wouldn't be a fit for me so they took me up to the place where I was interviewed by both owners at the same time.  They told me they also had a fine dining restaurant up there and that with my maturity and experience they think I would be the perfect mix up there. They want to meet me on Monday to show me the place and introduce me to the chef...not sure if I got the job? but it does sound promising right?   Now it's just the waiting game.

It's been so hectic the past week with packing and preparing and now my plans changing in less then 24 hours.   I was so excited to not look for a winter job and be on a hot beach lol.   I have had to ask my mum to send out all my gear, I bought winter boots, I had to run to the bank as my money was being transfered to my travelers account in Australia...thats been fun.   They couldn't stop the transfer because it had already left the bank.   The only way they could is if the person on the other end requested a stop, but it's Dan's name on the account and not mine.  I said I had access to it only to be told thats illegal.  "Great" I thought "now I am going to get arressted for accessing an account illegally"  So I then had to get a hold of Dan and told him he might have to put a stop to it.  I had to go back to the bank the next day but they said they are not sure what is going on, it will either end up back in my account or make its way over to Australia, plus on top of me spending $30 to transfer the money I got charged $21 for a retrieval fee even though it may not be retrieved.  AHHHHHHH!!! Grocery shopping needed to be done as I had no food because I wasn't planning on staying, I had to buy winter boots - awesome ones from Walmart I might add - I had to buy clothes for interviews as I wasn't job prepared for here, plus I had a farwell lunch with my family out here...it's been crazy this past week.
 
It wasn't all hectic though...Halloween was fun.   Everyone at the hostel was really excited as most of them are Australian and Halloween is almost non existant there.   I helped decorate and I made a Halloween playlist and put on Halloween movies :)   Everyone was dressed up for the occasion which was awesome.   Almost everyone went trick-or-treating; "Emmie are you coming trick-or-treating with us?"  "LOL I dont think so. Besides, you really don't trick-or-treat past the age of 12, people don't really like older trick-or-treaters."  It didn't stop them though, they wanted the full Halloween experience.  Some people commented on their age but they just said they were Australian and this was their first Halloween...there is still candy floating around LOL.

Well thats it really, now it's just  packing to move on the weekend and also playing the waiting game - for jobs - which I hate.   Keep your fingers crossed for me.  Talk soon

                                                                                                      - My Beautiful Life -
 

No comments:

Post a Comment