Monday, March 3, 2014

Bye Bye Biggie

Well...my time at Big White was a blast and, lucky me, the Snow Gods answered my prayers before I left.   The Heavens opened up and the Snow Gods showered down - more like dumped down - beautiful fresh powder that was up to my knees!  OMG is all I can say....sooo amazing!!!   I had a late start on Sunday - I had some drinks the night before - however even though I was a little bit...well you know...it was the best day I had on the slopes.  

It was amazing…I couldn’t have asked for a better last couple of days.   Just the feel of the powder under my board and up around my legs as I glided through it,  going through the glades.   I even got Mads (from the hostel) to record me…just to prove to everyone that yes I really did ride through the trees.  However, I look like a huge dork when I am riding.   Maybe it’s because I used to dance but man do I use my arms a lot.   Sometimes I look like I am rolling up/down a window or I swim with my back arm to turn on my toe edge.   I even lift my arms up when I hit a kicker which, to be honest, just makes the kicker feel that much better lol…I don’t know why but it just does.  We just rode all afternoon under the lift line and off to the side through the trees, over and over again and then when the last lift closed we snowboarded down to the path that goes to my place where we went and curled up with some warm tea.  Honestly…it was the perfect day and my best of the season.

The next day we still had beautiful powder and went out with my friend Nandita for the day.   I really wanted a great day out as it was my last one, but half way through the day I started getting a sore throat and headache –GREAT – so I was kind of off and not 100% but we still had t-bar adventures, this time we couldn’t even get on properly lol but it’s always worth it.  Riding through the enchanted forest with all the powder was just incredible and it was such a clear day so the view was just amazing.   It was a little sad as it was mine and Nandita’s last day of riding together and the end of our adventures.  We spent the evening sharing appies and a bottle of wine at one of the restaurants in the village and then I snowboarded home.
Isam got home at midnight and woke me up with a bottle of champagne that I could only enjoy 1 glass of as I wasn’t feeling well…of course I had to be sick my last night with him.

The next day Nandita drove Isam and I into Kelowna and we all had one last lunch together before I had to say a teary goodbye to the both of them.   Nandita is my girl and the closest friend I had up at Biggie and Isam…well, we went through a lot together the past few months and even though it wasn’t all ups I wouldn’t want to have spent the last six months with anyone else.   I have been with him every single day – pretty much – since I arrived in BC so it is a little weird without him and I will miss and always hold him in my heart.  See, we decided long distance is not for us and by the time I get back to BC he will have already left for a job in Saskatchewan so there is a big chance we will not see eachother again.   I know right…
It was a sad day and we were pretty quiet – I guess we were all trying to ignore the inevitable goodbye.  I think I even shed a tear when I packed up my snowboard lol – “we had a great season didn’t we!” Is what I said as I packed it away – and not really mentioning what was looming over us in the hours ahead.   I kind of panicked a bit.   I don’t think it really hit me that I was saying goodbye but I still felt funny and tried not to think about goodbyes as it made my eyes well up.   To be honest we were more focused on how weird it was being off Biggie.  It was the first time I had been of the mountain since (around) December 10th.   You don’t realize how isolated it is up there until you get down to reality where the air seems fresher and there was so much space.   I mean I was no longer limited to a certain area of space of where to go and what I could do…it took a few hours but by the end of the day I felt great, other than my goodbye.  
 How do you say goodbye to your boyfriend/girlfriend when you know it’s gonna be the last time you will ever see them. I know I have done it before, so I’m kind of used to it but it still doesn’t mean it doesn’t hurt.   We just stood there hugging and the tears just started to make their way out and I was choking them back, I didn’t want to make it harder then it already was.  Turning around and waving and saying I love you for the last time is strange.

I stayed at the hostel that night which was good because it was really great to be around friends after saying goodbye to Isam and Nan and feeling a bit wigged out about being off the mountain.   To be honest I should’ve done a night off the mountain earlier to give myself a break but whatever it’s too late now.
I stayed at the hostel one nght and then stayed at my cousin’s (Karen) for the past 3 nights and just relaxed and enjoyed doing nothing and not working.   

Now I am on a plane with my parents and we will be landing in an hour.
But before I say goodbye to BC I would really like to say thank you to everyone I have met in the past six months especially up at Biggie. I have had an amazing (half) season and so glad I finally got my BC winter.  I met some amazing people :  Tegan my shuttle buddy. The boys Paddy, Mick, Bryce, and Raphael so much love coming from you guys and I couldn’t ask for better guys  to hang with and drink with.  The crew at Black Diamond especially my Wikipedia Nandita I will miss you. Mads for the best day ever, it was nice to finally just be one on one with you I really enjoyed riding the afternoon with you and really getting to know you.  Daisy, Robbie and Daisuke my Kelowna family, kisses kisses kisses.  Kevin and his crazy laugh and love for guacamole, I miss you …and…umm…  I know I am missing people so I do apologize.  But of course – no I ddn’t forget – Isam.   You have been incredible and stood by when things weren’t going great.   I love you and would do it all over again.  Don’t ever forget me, I won't forget you xox.
Well it’s a new adventure now almost time to land and stretch these legs of mine.    Where is the new adventure u ask…ITALY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment